Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Be Holy - How do I do That? (part 2)

2. The second problem Jerry Bridges lists is "We misunderstand "living by faith" to mean that no effort at holiness is required on our part.

1 Peter 1:15-16
15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16 because it is written, "YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY."
We are not being called to be "god"

Lev 11:44; 19:2; 20:7** Lev 11:44 'For I am the Lord your God. Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy. And you shall not make yourselves unclean with any of the swarming things that swarm on the earth.
Lev 19:2-3 2 "Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, ' You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy.
Lev 20:7 'You shall consecrate yourselves therefore and be holy, for I am the Lord your God. NASU

Note-the idea of being defiled verses being set apart for God and service to him..... Come home dirty and your wife says.. No KISS till you get cleaned up.
We read these verses and say it is impossible so why try... Then we add to that Gal 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
Here we conclude that since I can’t do it... God must do it.. So I just relax and do nothing...

1 Peter 1:17-19
17 If you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth; 18 knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, 19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.
< V14.. Be obedient children
< Be holy yourselves... in your behavior
< Conduct yourself in fear
< Understand the value you are to God.. (What did you cost him) Handle yourself as a valuable asset to God...

2 Cor 7:1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
Heb 12:28-29 Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; 29 for our God is a consuming fire.

1 Peter 3:14-17 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; 16 and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.

No comments: