Tuesday, May 13, 2008

No Way

For many years of my life I rarely sat under the ministry of a pastor that taught from the minor prophets. Recently, I felt challenged to begin working my way through these books and discover that there is much that we Christians have been missing. I would like to begin blogging my way through the book of Hosea

Hos 1:1-5
1 The word of the Lord which came to Hosea the son of Beeri, during the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, and during the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash, king of Israel. 2 When the Lord first spoke through Hosea, the Lord said to Hosea, " Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry and have children of harlotry; for the land commits flagrant harlotry, forsaking the Lord." 3 So he went and took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son. 4 And the Lord said to him, "Name him Jezreel; for yet a little while, and I will punish the house of Jehu for the bloodshed of Jezreel, and I will put an end to the kingdom of the house of Israel. 5 "On that day I will break the bow of Israel in the valley of Jezreel." NASU

Let me begin with a couple of observations. First, what instruction Hosea receive was from the Lord. Hosea is someone that God has chosen to use to communicate His message to the people of Israel. Second, we must be careful not to assume that some of the unique instruction given to Hosea apply directly to us. Third, we must see the PRINCIPLES that God gives to us through the example and instruction to Hosea.

The time frame for this book is near the end of the Northern Kingdom. God is once again reaching out to begin about change while instructing the people was will happen if change does not take place.

As we go through this book we will see Hosea standing as a representative of God. Gomer is also a representative for Israel and for you and me. We need to see these representation in order to best under the truth that applies to our lives today.

Gomer was a harlot, not something we would want to call someone today, however, if we see that she stood for those that walk away from God we will see that in our culture today there are those who could be called "harlots". Certain not a kind term but I fear that this might fit us (Christian’s) as well when we get our attitudes and become disobedient to God. Certainly we will explore this more throughout the book.

The Lord names the first child, Jezreel. This stands for "yet a little while, and I will punish the house of Jehu for the bloodshed of Jezreel, and I will put an end to the kingdom of the house of Israel. Let me ask you, are you in a "Jezreel" state in your life. God is patient but perhaps only for a little while longer? Now is the time to turn back to Him and be restored into a deep rich fellowship.

Explore for Yourself
1. What came to Hosea? When?
2. What did the Lord tell Hosea to do?
3. Why did the Lord tell Hosea to do this?
4. Who did Hosea marry?

No comments: