Monday, August 4, 2008

Fake Repentance?

When someone confronts you about doing something wrong (or even just something that annoyed them) how do you respond? Are you quick with "I’m sorry". Do you give any thought to what you did before you say "I’m sorry" or are you looking for a quick way out of your situations hoping they stop "bothering" you with this trivial stuff that gets in your way.

If you are quick with the sorry with out any admission of guilt then I would suggest that you haven’t fully repented or even given much consideration to what your action have done.
Israel has been "caught" sinning. Their response to Hosea’s comment and statement from the LORD is to return. They want it all to "go away" so they can continue to live the way they want to live. Consider the assumption that they make, "he will heal, he will fix and revive us" but no where in those statement do they actually admit that they have SINNED or done anything wrong.

God tells them they are like morning dew (gone in a flash). God will be bring judgement on their lives because He sees into their heart and know they the words of their month do not match what they are really thinking.

Hos 6:1-11
1" Come, let us return to the Lord .For He has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but He will bandage us. 2 "He will revive us after two days; He will raise us up on the third day, That we may live before Him. 3 "So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; And He will come to us like the rain ,Like the spring rain watering the earth."
4 What shall I do with you, O Ephraim? What shall I do with you, O Judah? For your loyalty is like a morning cloud And like the dew which goes away early. 5 Therefore I have hewn them in pieces by the prophets; I have slain them by the words of My mouth; And the judgments on you are like the light that goes forth. 6 For I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, And in the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings. 7 But like Adam they have transgressed the covenant; There they have dealt treacherously against Me. 8 Gilead is a city of wrongdoers, Tracked with bloody footprints. 9 And as raiders wait for a man, So a band of priests murder on the way to Shechem; Surely they have committed crime. 10 In the house of Israel I have seen a horrible thing; Ephraim's harlotry is there, Israel has defiled itself. 11 Also, O Judah, there is a harvest appointed for you, When I restore the fortunes of My people. NASU

Yesterday we celebrated our thirty fourth wedding anniversary . I know that over those years I have said "I am sorry" with the hope that all would go away. But since I never admitted to doing anything wrong there was no effort to make any corrections or change. These days, I try and do better in understanding the mistake that was made and how to truly confess and change.
True confession must involve repentance with an effort to change.

Don’t say, "I’m sorry" unless you truly desire to admit to your sin and change your actions. (Not just hoping you won’t be caught again)

Explore for yourself

1.How did Israel respond to God’s rebuke?
2. What do they say will happen? What are they assuming? What is mission in this statement?
3. What question is asked? Describe their locality.
4. What will happen to them? What is like "like"?
5. What bring delight to the Lord? What is really necessary?
6. What is the "but" statement? How many "tragic" actions are listed?
7. What is important about the "also"? What is the "harvest" set out for Judah? Why?

No comments: