Monday, October 26, 2009

Crafting the Lie

What was that rhyme that we learned as children "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive." (a quote by Sir Walter Scott).

Not only did Abraham lie, he and Sarah planned it from early in there relationship. His plan to tell Abimelech that Sarah was his sister was part of the plan from the moment they arrived in Egpyt. It was a "half truth" but it was not the truth that mattered. Abimelech nearly sinned with Sarah because of the lie that Abraham told.

What do we tell others that may lead them to sin and suffer? Do we withhold the truth to avoid hardship in our lives? Do we say things to "make it easier to endure"?

Gen 20:12-1312 "Besides, she actually is my sister, the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother, and she became my wife; 13 and it came about, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said to her, 'This is the kindness which you will show to me: everywhere we go, say of me, "He is my brother."'"NASU

Let's decided today to choose wisely and tell the truth and not some "small lie."

No comments: