Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Clueless

I spent nearly 20 years doing carpentry. During those years there were many times that I did not know the fine details of the particular job. My task was to do what I was told and not worry about how the whole project was going to come together. I was a time when I worked in a much closer relationship with my employer and although I didn’t know all the details there were certainly more things that I was aware of when it came to completing the project. The difference between that job and the others was "the boss" and I became very good friends. We share many things about our lives and each day started with prayer. We were close to each other. Paul is describing the difference between being a slave and knowing (or being known by) God. But Paul says that now that you are known by God why would you ever want to turn back to a time when you did not know God.

Gal 4:8-11
8 However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods. 9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain. NASA

If you ever cry out to God for salvation don’t turn away. If you walked away from that truth now is a good time to come back to that which is worthwhile.

Explore for yourself.

1. Did we really know God or know by God while we were slave?
2. Why did Paul fear that he labored in vain?

No comments: