Thursday, June 25, 2009

Deciding to Get Along

When we live in a world with other people we must always be making choices. Choices that help us avoid conflict. For me and my brother the choices we had to make was how to avoid "killing" each other. Now, don't miss understand, I love my brother but during our growing up years I was always trying to be better then him. He could run faster, jump higher, play sports better, you name it he did almost everything better and I tried every which way to bet him. Unfortunately, it cause lots do discussions and not getting along because I tried so hard. That is until somewhere in my high school years, I realized we were different and I needed to be me and stop trying to bet him.

The herdsman of Lot and Abram just couldn't find enough space and ways to get along. They fought hard and often. Abram provide that solution. He let Lot choose where to go and he would go the opposite direction.


Gen 13:5-10
5 Now A Lot, who went with Abram, also had flocks and herds and tents. 6 And A the land could not 1 sustain them 2 while dwelling together, B for their possessions were so great that they were not able to remain together. 7 A And there was strife between the herdsmen of Abram's livestock and the herdsmen of Lot's livestock. Now B the Canaanite and the Perizzite were dwelling then in the land. 8 A So Abram said to Lot, "Please let there be no strife between you and me, nor between my herdsmen and your herdsmen, for we are brothers. 9 "Is not the whole land before you? Please separate from me; if to the left, then I will go to the right; or if to the right, then I will go to the left." NAS

Abram's desire was to avoid strife and so he gave up "his rights" so that Lot could choose.

I gave up on my desire to be better than my brother (it wasn't going to happen anyway) and chose to be the person God want me to become.

Who are you fighting with? What choice can you make in order that you two will get along? Then I want to encourage you...make the right choice.

No comments: