Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Go Where?

Having moved a number of times in my life (with my family) I can tell you the thought of moving was never exciting. For most of the moves it was something that came with a small level of resistance. Perhaps the only move that we were excited about from the start was the idea moving closer to family and friends after being away for a number of years. When God began to burden us to become missionaries our biggest resistance came from the idea of moving far away from our "current" family and friends.

I can only imagine the feeling and emotions that Abram experience when God came to him with this message.

Gen 12:1-3 1 Now the Lord said to Abram, " Go forth from your country,And from your relatives And from your father's house,To the land which I will show you; 2 And I will make you a great nation,And I will bless you, And make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing; 3 And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed." NASU

I would want to know the where, when, how to God command. But God says, "To a land which I will show you". Not now, but during the journey, when you are ready. I will make you a great nation.....when I have you prepared..... These things I marked in red are something that I think is implied in God's statements and I think they are the very things that God has applied in my life and perhaps in yours.

I never would have been ready for oversea service if I hadn't lived in Virginia. I never would have considered being a pastor had I not been a missionary. I never would have allowed to be stretched so far if God hadn't done it in small doses.

What about your life? I God wanting to stretch you? One way to see how God is working is to look backwards in your life and see what God has taken you through already. God know what we can handle. He is the one who strengthens our spiritual muscles.

If I had stayed in Pennsylvania and never obeyed God's command to go I would have missed making many wonderful new friends and lost wonderful blessings.

Don't be afraid to go when God directs. Obedience to God is the greatest blessing of all.

No comments: