Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Promise of Christ

As a husband I have made promises to my wife and family that sadly I must admit I have not keep. When that happens, there must be admission of my failure and requesting of forgiveness. Try as much as I like I will never be able to keep all of my promises. Paul is talking to the Galatians about that very fact. The making and keeping of a covenant, once made it is not set aside. But even when that promise was not kept it still has its force. "It is law". Paul shows that the promise to Abraham was to Abraham and one specific individual "his seed".

Gal 3:1518
15 Brethren, I speak in terms of human relations: even though it is only a man's covenant, yet when it has been ratified, no one sets it aside or adds conditions to it. 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as referring to many, but rather to one, " And to your seed," that is, Christ. 17 What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise.18 For if the inheritance is based on law, it is no longer based on a promise; but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise. NASU
But Paul is also showing the "Law" which came after the promise to Abraham it did not invalidate the promise because it was made and ratified by God. Remember the law has a purpose but it is not to save us because we obey it. But we will explore that the next time.

Explore for yourself!

1. What can not be set aside?
2. Who was the promise given to?
3. Which came first the promise or law... why is this important?

If these (or any of the questions) brings additional questions just leave them in the comment section.

No comments: