Thursday, November 29, 2007

Submitting

Often the very word "submit" causes us to bristle. We simply have this aversion to submitting. Today we see this idea express by Paul when he heads off to Jerusalem to submit the gospel that he was preaching. His fear was that somewhere in his presentation that he might be doing something in vain.

Have you ever done something the wrong way? Wouldn’t it have been nice if somewhere along the way someone would have come along and stop you before you spent time doing the work. I can think of times during my years of construction when I gladly would have appreciated if someone would have come and showed me I was doing something wrong (and there were times they did). So let me ask you, if you had to submit to that person wouldn’t that be better than spending days (or weeks) doing something that you have to redo? Paul wasn’t worried about simply "redoing" something, he was worried that it was wrong and he was leading people astray. What a joy to learn that everything that Paul had been preaching was truth.

Gal 2:1-5
2 Then after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. 2 1 It was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain. 3 But not even Titus, who was with me, though he was a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised. 4 But it was because of the false brethren secretly brought in, who had sneaked in to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, in order to bring us into bondage. 5 But we did not yield in subjection to them for even an hour, so that the truth of the gospel would remain with you. NASU

As you read this today I want to encourage you to look at the Scriptures. The Bible can handle you looking at it to learn the truth, and be full of hope.

Explore for yourself.
1. What did Paul submit to the apostles in Jerusalem?
2. How did he do this and why?
3. What "proof" of the effect of the gospel did he take?
4. Why did this trip become necessary?
5. Was Paul just being "selfish" for his own "style" or the liberty He had there?
6. Why did Paul and the other not yield to those who came?
7. Why was Paul so adamant concerning these changes?

John 5:39-40 39 " You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. NASU

Go ahead and search, do not let Jesus say this about you!

No comments: