Monday, November 19, 2007

What is your Motivation?

Paul gives to the Galatians a warning and explanation. First he warns them that NO ONE, not even himself, is to be changing the gospel. God’s word does not change. God does not need to provide us with "new insights". What God gave to the writers of old is still valid even to day and we should be greatly warned by those who would propose those changes. Second, Paul tells them that he is not motivated by what men think.

Gal 1:8-10 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!
10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ. NASU

The question for us is two fold. Do I go searching for those who will give me answers that I want to hear? Do they "change" scripture to suit the explanation that they spoke? The second consideration is "Why do I do what I do?" No matter what you do in life; plumbers, chef, photographer, Pastor, who are you serving. If all you do is serve your "customer" and not Christ you will be driven exclusively by what man wants and not by what bring God’s glory.


Search for yourself.

1. What was being distorted?
2.Why does Paul have such harsh words for those who turn people away?
3. What claim does Paul make concerning his motivation?

No comments: