Sunday, November 25, 2007

Who is preaching?

When (or if) you go to church who do you hear? That is a question that I often asked of myself before I begin to preach/speak. It is always my prayer that those who are there on any day would not be coming to hear me but that they would come to hear God speak to them. Paul shows where that all has to begin, we have to recognize that what must be preached must be the revelation of Jesus Christ. Paul had a little more difficulty then we do today. He did not have the New Testament or the completed Bible. But the danger today is no less real.

Gal 1:11-12 For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. NASU

There are many today who get up to speak and never once open the Scripture or open them a little and then go off and say whatever they want giving no value to the importance of the Word of God.

But you are saying, this doesn’t apply to me because I am not the one speaking. Well Paul explains how this truth applies to us in 2 Tim 4:3. "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths." NASU

When we as listeners come to church expecting to hear what "we want" we really are looking for things according to "man" and not God.

Explore it for yourself.
1. From where does the gospel come?
2. Why does Paul want the Galatians to know from where the comes?

I want to encourage you to listen for God speaking to you and not some person

No comments: