Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"A Birdie Told Me"

When you were a kid, did you ever wonder how it is that your parents "knew" what you had done. Maybe you were at a friends or playing down the street at the park and when you get home they ask you about something you did that day.

Busted!... humm, how did they know.... now that you are the parent, you have ways to find out and keep track of your kids.

Boaz, had heard a lot about Ruth and her care for Naomi and because of her actions he extends to her an extra measure of kindness and grace.

Ruth 2:8-11 8 Then Boaz said to Ruth, " Listen carefully, my daughter. Do not go to glean in another field; furthermore, do not go on from this one, but stay here with my maids. 9 "Let your eyes be on the field which they reap, and go after them. Indeed, I have commanded the servants not to touch you. When you are thirsty, go to the water jars and drink from what the servants draw." 10 Then she fell on her face, bowing to the ground and said to him, "Why have I found favor in your sight that you should take notice of me, since I am a foreigner?" 11 Boaz replied to her, "All that you have done for your mother-in-law after the death of your husband has been fully reported to me, and how you left your father and your mother and the land of your birth, and came to a people that you did not previously know. NASU

Boaz said:
  • Glean only in my fields.
  • Follow my reapers.
  • Drink water from my water jars that my servants have gathered.
  • I have been told "A birdie told me" all that you have done.. "you work hard for the benefit of Naomi, you have sacrificed much without consideration for yourself.

Ruth is amazed and confused:

  • Fell on her face before Boaz (a show of thankfulness not to plead for help)
  • Wonders why she is being blessed, she is an "outsider"

When you learn something about a person what do you do? Do you show kindness beyond anyones expection? Do you go over and above.

Boaz showed grace to Ruth which she felt was undeserved.

No comments: