Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It Didn't Just Happen

When things comes together at just the right moment in time it is easy to forget how God has been working. How many times have you said either to yourself or out loud "wow, that was lucky". I want to tell you today, that is not a true statement. God is God and in our daily lives there is NO luck. We see this as we continue our examination in the book of Ruth.

Ruth and Naomi have return and the havest of barley is beginning. Ruth desires to go and collect grain in the fields that has been harvested. The law made provision for the poor to glean in fields after the harvesters have been through it. However, not ever land owner was thrilled with this and some were mean and hurtful to those who attempted to glean on their land.

Let's read:

Ruth 2:1-3 Now Naomi had a kinsman of her husband, a man of great wealth, of the family of Elimelech, whose name was Boaz. 2 And Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi, "Please let me go to the field and glean among the ears of grain after one in whose sight I may find favor." And she said to her, "Go, my daughter." 3 So she departed and went and gleaned in the field after the reapers; and she happened to come to the portion of the field belonging to Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech. NASU

Notice Ruth first request to Naomi.. Please, let me go and glean in the field in whose sight I find favor. This is almost like a prayer.. I want to glean, will you pray that I will enter a field where I find favor...aka... don't get beat up.

Naomi response with "go my daughter"... I feel like there is an implied... you go and I will pray.

Notice the writer of Ruth (believed to be Samuel) uses the phase "she happened to come" because we have no explaination for these events. Going forward we do not see God hand, it is only after all the events have taken place do we have an opportunity to see God working in this situation.

Are you face with difficult events in your life. Begin with prayer. Ask God to guide you then move forward and make decisions trusting that God will in fact be your guide.

Ruth "just happened' into the field of Boaz. We will see later, that is exactly where she needed to be in order for God to be glorified.

You too, can wind up exactly where God wants if you trust Him.

No comments: