Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Commitment

I found it interesting that in the midst of these difficult times that fewer people are getting divorces. With the lack of money to pay for a divorce they are learning to work through their issues, ie... be committed to one another. This type of commitment is not the same as what Ruth made to Naomi. Hers' was a commitment to God and a connection to following Naomi.

Ruth 1:14-18 14 And they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her. 15 Then she said, "Behold, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and her gods; return after your sister-in-law." 16 But Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. 17 "Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. Thus may the Lord do to me, and worse, if anything but death parts you and me." 18 When she saw that she was determined to go with her, she said no more to her. NASU

Notice the statements that Ruth makes:
  • Where you lodge I will lodge--willing to change location
  • Your people will be my people--will to abandon family/friends for new family/friends
  • Your God will become my God--change in "religion"
  • Will die in the same place as you die--a life time commitment to this change
  • Only death will separate us

Naomi reconized the strength of Ruth's commitment, but what made that change? I believe we see the change in progress when looking at the statement, "your God will be my God." Ruth may not have known all about the God of heaven but God was working in her heart and life to draw her to himself. He was making that change. Elimelech didn't just happen to go to Moab. God allowed him to go so that he could bring Ruth to faith. Somewhere, she learn of God's greatness and goodness. She wanted more and was willing to "give up" what little she may have had in Moab to gain something she couldn't even touch, knowing more of God.

Do you feel drawn to know more about God. I want to encourage you, don't hold on to the worlds possession and miss what God can give to you. Reach out, make that commitment to go to God, He is calling you.

No comments: