Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 10...From Life Action Ministries

Day 10 of Your Journey
Humility: The Key to Resolving Conflict

Family relationships are vitally important to God. He doesn’t just give general encouragement to get along with each other. Instead, He gives specific direction to husbands, wives, children, and parents.

Many of these instructions are given with promises for obedience and/or consequences for disobedience (1 Pet. 3:7; Eph. 6:1-3; Col.3:21). Perhaps that’s why Jesus told us not to present offerings when we have un-reconciled relationships (Matt. 5:23-24).

Rightness with God requires rightness with each other (as much as is possible within our power). If a husband and wife have unresolved conflict, it will affect not only their fellowship with God, but also the health of the whole family.

The same can be said of a rebellious or wounded child. Ultimately, everyone is affected by the fractured relationship.

Solomon tells us the key to diffusing conflict and gaining reconciliation: “Only by pride cometh contention” (Proverbs 13:10 KJV). Notice that it doesn’t say “usually” or “mostly”; it says only.

Therefore, if pride is the source of conflict, then humility is its antidote. If I am waiting for the other person to acknowledge wrong before I will, then my pride is feeding the conflict.

When conflict arises, pray for grace from God to humble yourself. He will give you the words and power to reunite your hearts.


Making It Personal

Lord, my pride always wants to plead my case and claim my rights. Help me to honor You by humbling myself. I trust You to bring conviction where needed in my family members’ lives.

No comments: