Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 18

Day 18 of Your Journey
Self-Reformation: The Enemy of Grace

One of the beauties of God’s grace is that it allows us to approach Him in our times of need. Often in the moments we feel most unworthy to come to Him, we are most welcomed by Him.

That’s what David realized as he wrote these words: “I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth” (Psa. 121:1-2 ESV).

Our help will always be found in the Lord. Anything that keeps you from turning to Him when in need originates with Satan. Satan will tell you, “You have to get your life in order so you can go to God.” God will say, “You have to come to Me so you can get your life in order.”

This is not merely a play on words; it is essential to understanding God’s grace in your life. All true change will begin with God, not us. He is the source of everything we need to live a life glorifying to Him.

“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above,” James 1:17 tells us. All our spiritual provision originates in heaven and is delivered down to us.

It’s futile to try to reform our lives as a means of gaining God’s acceptance. We can never make ourselves good enough for God.

We must start by realizing that our acceptance is through the blood of Christ. On that basis we come to God as we are, acknowledging that our only hope for change is His power.


Remember this today: Our help comes from the Lord, who made all of heaven and earth.


Making It Personal

Lord, I cannot make myself good enough for You. I need Your grace to even want to change. Work in me today by the power of Your might. Change me into the image of Jesus, as only You can.

No comments: